Rob Flaws, Legal Director, Head of Technology, Media & Communications (Middle East), CMS
Rob is a Technology law specialist with over 10 years of international experience supporting the delivery of projects and providing regulatory advice in respect of the use of Technology in the Banking and Financial Services Sector. Since relocating to the Middle East in 2011, Rob has been involved in the provision of contractual and regulatory advice in relation to the delivery of digital transformation projects through the integration of FinTech solutions, the development of e-payment and mobile money systems, the use of cryptocurrencies for retail transactions and the use of Blockchain across the real estate sector.
Rob is a regular participant at FinTech industry events and enjoys sharing trends, experiences and best practices with clients involved in the development of Fintech innovations.
Selected relevant experience includes advising:
- A leading Islamic Bank on the development of a software knowledge lab in partnership with a US IT services provider for the development of their Digital Transformation Project here in the UAE.
- S distributed ledger services provider on the potential application of certain regulations in relation to a smart city initiative to use a series of individual Block chains to document the sale of Real Estate
- Emirates Integrated Telecommunications PJSC (du) on both the commercial documentation and the relevant regulatory issues in relation to the development of a joint venture to deliver mobile money and e-wallet services.
- HSBC Middle East LLP on the implications of the potential adoption of a UAE Financial Sector Outsourcing regulation on the Banks development of a mobile wallet service.
- Network International on the potential application and business impact of the UAE’s Digital Payment Regulations as issued by the UAE Central Bank.
- A leading FinTech solutions provider on their provision of a RegTech solution to Standard Chartered Bank designed to automate FATCA reviews.
- Payfort on the UAE Central Bank’s position on the use of cryptocurrencies for online transactions.
- MasterCard on relevant best practice in relation to the use, transfer and storage of transaction data for their new mobile wallet service in the UAE.
- MENA FinTech start-up on its development of a unique marketplace lending platform and lending analysis solution.